Well, folks, I’m back in the kitchen. This may or may not be directly related to the fact that I have put an end to exercise-less food free for all that has been the last five months. I’m back on the treadmill in the mornings and have hopped back on the healthy food train. What this means to you is more fun food recipes!!
Let’s take this week for example. On Monday, I made Chicken and Dumplings and Brussels Sprout Salad (both recipes available on in this very blog) and last night I made up something new. Let’s call it Grits ‘n Greens with Sausage.
3 cups water
1 cup grits
4 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded or chunked
1 tablespoon butter
4-6 cups turnip greens (or greens of your choice like collard, kale, mustard, etc.)
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 package turkey polska keilbasa, sliced
1) Cook grits according to package directions.
2) While the grits are cooking, saute or grill sausage (get a good sear mark/brown), set aside
3) Saute greens in sausage pan (with leftover juices) with cider vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste.
4) When grits are cooked, stir in cheese and butter, to melt. Salt and pepper to taste.
5) Pile grits in a shallow bowl. Top with greens. Top with sausage.
Makes four servings. You’ll probably want hot sauce. G did. I didn’t. I’m allergic.
Now, let me tell you about Spark People. It’s a food/exercise/health tracker and I am IN LOVE. I signed up for the website and then downloaded the iPhone app. It’s the awesome. I can track pretty much everything and through their sister site Spark Recipes, you can find out the nutritional information of recipes you make up yourself!! The app syncs to the website and vice versa, so I always know where I stand on a given day. Sweet!!!